Sunday, April 4, 2010

Denver Shenanagan's....

So the week of fun and irresponsibility has come and gone. As of tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday I am back at work. I'll take a MAPCON class on Monday afternoon. MAPCON is the name of the computer program we use for ordering and keeping track of parts and things in Antarctica. It is also how we keep track of the food on station. Tuesday and Wednesday we go through the standard Human Resources orientation session. Wednesday afternoon we are whisked away to the airport. We'll go from Denver to Dallas to Santiago Chile to Punta Arenas where we will boat the boat. If everything goes as planned, we'll get on the boat on April 10th for a four day journey across the Drake Passage to the Palmer Peninsula.

This will be the last post before getting to Palmer. At that point I'm sure I'll have some great pics and stories from the boat ride. There are many tales from people past who have done this trip. Some say the water is like glass. Others say there are waves ranging from 20-50 feet. Characteristically, it is the worst water in the world. It is the meeting point of two great oceans, the Pacific and Atlantic. The passage is about 800 km and will take the better part of 4 days to traverse.

But for now I bid the Northern Hemisphere adieu. I'm sure it will be the same when I get back. My special thanks to the friends I have seen and have housed me over the past week. Kevin, Spud, Dave, Marc, Megan. I wish I had more time. For now I leave you with the best hangover omelet ever, messing around with Spud's cat Stetson, and our Wii characters. Funny, we haven't cured anything since Polio but we can create digital likenesses of ourselves.

Also, new best band ever award goes to Baroness. A perfect mix of Mastadon and The Sword. Two albums, The Blue Record and The Red Record. It is super awesome. Buy them now.





No comments:

Post a Comment